FAQs for international doctoral candidates
First of all you have to contact a member of the department and convince her or him to be an advisor for your doctoral dissertation. Only if agreement with that person has been reached, further steps will follow.
- The applicant must have completed a Master’s degree in either economics and/or social sciences and must have passed the final examinations of that degree at their home university. College graduates with a diploma degree in Business Administration, or related degree programmes including doctorates, are required to undergo an aptitude test (Section 3 of the Doctoral Regulations) as a prerequisite for registration and admission to a doctoral programme.
- Please ensure that you have understood the admission requirements (Section 2 of the Doctoral Regulations).
- Remember to have a look at our Doctoral Regulations of the Faculty which include more specific requirements.
- A formal letter of application for a Doctoral programme downloaded from www.docDaten.fau.de
- Written confirmation from your intended Doctoral Degree supervisor (i.e. from the professor who will supervise your work)
- A declaration of whether the applicant has previously applied to or attended a doctoral degree programme at another university
- A curriculum vitae written in German providing evidence of the applicant’s qualification for a doctoral degree programme (Master’s degree or equivalent)
- For applicants without a Master’s degree, i.e. with a Bachelor’s and/or diploma degree, proof of passing the Doctoral qualifying examination (Section 2a of the Doctoral Regulations attached) is required
- Written confirmation from the university at which you completed your degree proving you have completed an appropriate degree
- A criminal record certificate if the applicant is not employed by the German public service
Once you have collected all of the above documents, please submit your application to the Graduation Office; please note, all foreign degrees need to be certified before submission.
After the submitted documents have been examined by the Office for Research and Graduation, the certified degrees have to be approved by the Standing Conference of Ministers of the Standing Conference of Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany. Following approval by the Standing Conference, the official application for admission to a doctoral degree will then be considered by the doctoral committee of the Faculty of Business, Economics, and Law. This application for admission to write a doctoral thesis is urgently required; otherwise you will not be allowed to start a doctoral degree programme at FAU as the necessary formalities can only be checked after submission of the application.
For further questions please write us an e-mail or give us a call.